American, born in Aleppo, Syria. Works and lives in Boca Raton, Florida and Wayne, New Jersey
1985 – Bachelor Degree of Fine Arts, the School of Visual Arts, New York City. Continued education in marketing & advertising at Montclair State University, New Jersey
Debris in Aleppo – Series No.1, No.2, No.3, No.4
Syria – Aleppo Urban Landscapes series – No.7 to No.14 – 35″ x 35″ acrylic, 2016-2018 (selected works, call gallery for available works)
Aleppo Urban Landscapes Black & White unique Giclée limited editions of 5
New York Metro Urbanism (selected works)
Public Square No.1 – 48″x36″ – acrylic on Canvas, 1998 (available)
Excalibur – 54″x35″ – acrylic on Canvas, 1998 (available)
Public Square – No2 – 67″x56″ – acrylic on canvas, 1997 (private collection)
Access Denied – 56″ x 67″- acrylic on canvas (private collection)
Artificial Intelligence – 56″ x 67″ – acrylic on canvas (private collection)
Denial – 67″ x 56″ – acrylic on canvas (private collection)
Encrypted Messages – 56″ x 67″ – acrylic on canvas (private collection)
Streamer – 66″x44″ – acrylic on canvas (private collection)
Khawam stopped painting in 2001 after the events of 9/11, but picked up his brush again in 2015 influenced by the Syrian crisis. “My primary focus is of my birthplace–the city of Aleppo with urban scenes of collapsed apartment floors, fallen balconies, curved rooftops and punched holes in the building facades. My aim is not to focus on the politics of the conflict but to raise awareness to the tragedy” explained Khawam, whose family immigrated to the US in 1976 and became a naturalized citizen five years later (TonyKhawamArt.com). “Viewers at first glance see and experience both the sadness of the scene and at the same time a hopeful feeling” explained Juliana Morello, the curator of BaileyArts.org in Ft Lauderdale.
During the Nineties Khawam’s work showcase shapes, colors, texture and layered strokes. The method of painting is spontaneous with the rapid execution of painterly expressionist approach and equated with a storytelling. His objective is to bring forth the hidden characters of an urban scene in a neoplasticism style that solidify his identity among the contemporaries.
1985 – The School of Visual Arts, New York City. Graduated with B.F.A. in fine arts. Continued education in marketing & advertising at Montclair State University, NJ
Artist and creative marketing director for fortune 100 companies, pharmaceutical, financial and commercial real estate industries
2018 – Artexpo New York Int’l Art Fair, New York City Pier 94
2018 – Art Palm Beach Int’l Art Fair, West Palm Beach, FL
2017 – Red Dot Miami Int’l Art Fairs, Miami, FL
2017 – Bailey Contemporary Arts Gallery, Pompano Beach (Ft Lauderdale), FL
2017 – “Florida International Trade and Cultural Expo” #FITCE17, artist invitation from the Broward County Cultural and Arts to exhibit solo at Broward County Convention Center, Ft Lauderdale, FL
2006 – Walter Wickiser gallery, New York, NY
2005 – CS Schulte gallery, Millburn, NJ
2003 – Simon Gallery, Morristown, NJ
2000 – Walter Wickiser gallery, New York, NY
2000 – Morris Museum of Art, Morristown, NJ
2000 – Johnson & Johnson World Headquarters gallery, NJ, “New Jersey artists series”
2000 – Simon Gallery, Morristown, NJ
1999 – Nabisco Gallery, East Hanover, NJ “New Jersey Artists Series”
1999 – Educational Testing Service, Princeton, NJ “New Jersey Artists Series”
1998 – CS Schulte gallery, Millburn, NJ
1998 – Sharing Plough Corp., World Headquarters gallery at Giralda Farms estates, Madison, NJ. “New Jersey artists series”
1997 – O.K. Harris gallery, New York, NY
1994 – The Dow Jones & Company Headquarters Gallery, Princeton, NJ “New Jersey Artists Series”
1993 – MetLife Gallery, New York, NY
2018 – Design Center of The Americas, interior designers special event exhibition
2017 – “Postcard Exhibit for fundraising” to renovate New Mexico State U Art Gallery
2017 – “Truth and Reconciliation” Little Haiti Cultural Complex Gallery, Miami, FL
2017 – “Art Boca Raton” Int’l Pavilion of the Palm Beaches at Florida Atlantic University
2017 – “Art Palm Beach” Palm Beach Convention Center
2005 – “Figuration” New Jersey Center for Visual Arts Gallery, NJ
2001 – “The NJ Fine Arts Annual”, The Noyes Museum of Art, NJ
2001 – “The Art of Collecting” New Jersey Center for Visual Arts Gallery, NJ
2000 – “Traveling Show” Morris Museum, Morristown, NJ & The Morris Museum of Art, Augusta, GA
2000 – “Annual Art Talent” New American Paintings, catalog show
1999 – “Acrylic painters, Works on Paper” CS Schulte Gallery, Millburn, NJ
1998 – “The New Jersey Fine Arts Annual”, The Montclair Art Museum, NJ, Catalog show
1998 – City Without Walls gallery, Newark, NJ
1998 – “In Defense of the Enigmatic” Seton Hall University School of Law, Newark, NJ, curated by Stephen Sennott from City Without Walls gallery
1997 – “Works on Paper” Pritz gallery, Mayville, NY
1997 – “Acrylic painters” CS Schulte Gallery, Millburn, NJ
1997 – JCB Int’l Co. Rockefeller Plaza, NYC, curated by Walter Wickiser gallery NYC
1997 – Three-person show, Simon gallery, Morristown, NJ
1996 – “Works on Paper” Four persons show. CS Schulte Gallery, Millburn, NJ
1996 – “Art for new collectors” CS. Schulte Gallery, Millburn, NJ
1995 – “Landscapes, Past and Present” CS. Schulte Gallery, Millburn, NJ
1994 – Ocean County College, Toms River, NJ
1994 – Watchung Arts Center, NJ
1994 – New Jersey Center for Visual Arts Gallery, NJ
1994 – Somerset County Cultural & Heritage Gallery, NJ
1994 – Marcella Geltman gallery, Art Center of Northern NJ
1994 – Ridgewood Art Center, NJ
1993 – Merill Lynch Corporate Headquarters Gallery, Princeton, NJ
1993 – The Williams gallery, Princeton, NJ
1988 – Visual Arts Gallery, New York, NY
GRANTS AND AWARDS
Mid-Atlantic Artists Fellowship 2001/2002.
Recipient of Geraldine Dodge Award, Artist in Residence, NJ series, 1997.
Rutgers University Innovative Works on Paper & Printmaking Project, 1998.
CURATORIAL AND ART ADVISORY
– 2000-2002 Merrill Lynch art advisor for the corporate art collections. Curated 2 annual art shows at HQ in Princeton, NJ.
– 1993-1999 MetLife art advisor for the corporate art collections. Curated 3 annual art shows featuring North East artists at the MetLife art gallery in New York City and Bridgewater, NJ.
SELECTED CURATED EXHIBITIONS
– “Printmaking Council of NJ at MetLife”.
– “A Mark of Excellence” a collection of art works from Raritan Valley College.
– “Looking within, Looking without” photographs by Ralph Maratta.
– “New York New York” “Selections from the Merrill Lynch collection” Rauschenberg, Motherwell, Oldenburg, among other leading artists.
– “African-American Artists” Selected works from Rutgers Center for Innovative Print & Paper, Ringgold, Gilliam, Brooker, Bullock, Burwell and Jarvis.
The Montclair Art Museum, Morris Museum, MetLife, Pulsar International Mexico, Lucent Technologies, Nabisco Company, Johnson & Johnson, Schering Plough Corp., The Dow Jones & Company, Merrill Lynch, Educational Testing Service, Tanagraphics Inc. NYC, and Numerous private collections.
PUBLICATIONS AND MEDIA REVIEWS
– Gallery quality 50 pages catalog of the artist artworks titled “Syria – Aleppo Urban Landscapes” 2015-2017 was published in conjunction with the Bailey Contemporary Arts, December 2017.
– Tadashi Nakamae, the International Economy magazine, 2003.
– Steven Zevitas, Publisher, The Open Studios Press, New American Paintings, 2001.
– Dan Bischoff, The Star Ledger, New Jersey Artists series, June 2000”.
– Ralph Bellantoni, Courier News, ‘Biennial’ show gives art a new dimension, March 2000.
– Tina Traster, NJ Savvy Living, “The art of collecting fine art a learning experience” June 2000.
– Rachel Mullen, Recorder News, “Geometry & whimsy combined” April 2000.
– William Zimmer, The New York Times, “An Annual Appraisal of the Urge to Innovate” July 19, 1998.
– Pakesha Pettus, Mount Olive Cronicles, July, 1998.
– Dan Bischoff, The Star Ledger, Choosing New Jersey “1998 NJ Fine Arts Annual”.
– The Recorder, Publishing News, NJ, January 1997.
– Matt Sheehan, The Examinar, Ocean County NJ, Oct.1994.
– Arnold Friedman, Date Line Journal, Passaic County newspaper, NJ, Feb. 1994.
– Emanuel Haller, The Courier News, Sumerset County newspaper, NJ, July 1993.
– School of Visual Arts annual exhibition book, 1983.
MEDIA ARTICLES & PRESS RELEASES
Art and Design Matters magazine published an article about Khawam’s Art Palm Beach exhibition: https://www.instagram.com/p/Be0lxEAnzUh https://artanddesignmatters.tumblr.com
Online Media Publishing, this is one of many were published: http://www.newschannel10.com/story/37194800/tony-khawams-vision-of-syrias-war-torn-cities-aleppo-urban-landscapes-at-art-palm-beach-with-jeff-whymans-steel-figures-and-mkrtich-mazmanians
Red Dot Art Miami publishing: https://finance.yahoo.com/news/tony-khawam-gallery-presents-spiritual-030100316.html
View digital sample of Khawam Art Catalogue: https://e.issuu.com/embed.html#31844974/55569936